Rolling Hills Library was first established in 1961, so we are a relatively young library district. For a brief period, we operated as a regional library with SJPL, but that was over 20 years ago. Our district boundaries follow the 1965 city limits of St. Joseph (see this map for more detail). We have a long-standing agreement with the city library to offer each other's residents a library card at no charge, and that will not change.
Our building at 1900 N. Belt Highway was designed as a commercial strip mall with space underneath for a construction business and residence. The library rented half of the basement until 2003 when the entire building was purchased and renovated by the library. Currently, we have no tenants in the street-facing units on the upper level and use this space for meeting rooms, library administration, and the Friends of the Library bookstore.
Libraries are about PEOPLE, PLACES, and PROSPERITY. Every community with a high quality of life has a well-funded and active public library. Our taxpayers deserve the best possible library service with facilities and resources designed to be flexible and become what our users need far into the future.