E-books on your Kindle Fire
E-Books & Audios for your Kindle Fire
A step-by-step guide
There are two ways to load Overdrive materials onto your Kindle Fire.
The Amazon Direct Method is good for loading books that are in the Kindle file format. Use the Media Console Method for books in the EPUB format or MP3 audiobooks.
You will need an Amazon account, your library card number and your PIN or password.
Amazon Direct Method
- Go to web on your Kindle Fire. Type in the address for our e-book collection: www.molib2go.org.
- Click on the Sign In tab in the upper right corner of the screen. Choose Rolling Hills Consolidated Library from the menu, then type in your library card number and PIN to sign in to your account.
- Search or browse for an e-book title that you want to read. Make sure that it is available in Kindle format. If it is, tap the Add to Cart button next to the Kindle format listing.
- Click Proceed to Checkout.
- Click Confirm Checkout.
- From the My Items Out page, tap the Get for Kindle button. This will take you to the Amazon website and you will be prompted to enter your Amazon account information if you are not already logged into Amazon. If Amazon is defaulting to a different account, tap the Use a different Amazon account link on the right side of the screen above the Get Library Book button. (Note: You may be prompted to login to your Amazon account again, even though you are already logged in.)
- Make sure the “deliver to” field is set to your Kindle, then tap Get Library Book.
- Tap the Home icon, then the Books tab. If you don’t see the book on your shelves, you may need to tap the Settings icon at the top of the screen (the little gear), then tap Sync to get the book to appear.
- Tap the book jacket cover and begin reading!
- To delete an item or return it early, go to Web and type in www.amazon.com. Go to Manage Your Kindle, hit Actions button next to the title, and Delete from Library.
Media Console Method
- You will need an Adobe account to authorize the device before you can check out your first book. It’s easiest to do this before you get started with the other steps.
- Tap Web and go to https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/. You will be taken to the Adobe sign in page.
- Tap the yellow Create an Adobe Account button and fill out the information required in the form and hit continue. You will see a “Thank You” screen if your account has been successfully created.
- Remember your Adobe ID and password- you will need them the first time you check out a book.
- Download the Overdrive Media Console app to your Kindle Fire. Go directly to www.overdrive.com/software/omc and select the Android version of the Overdrive Media Console. Currently, you can’t get the app directly from the Amazon/Android marketplace.
- Along the right-hand side of the screen, select the radio button for Android.
- After the page re-loads, scroll down and tap the words “download Overdrive Media Console for Android from Overdrive”. DO NOT click on the box that says “Android on Google Play”. Note: When attempting to download or install software from any place other than the Android Market, you may get a message that says “For security, your device is set to block installation of applications not source in the Android Market.” To allow, tap on the settings icon (the little gear) then tap Device. The setting “Allow installation of applications” needs to be ON.
- There will be a long page of terms-- scroll to the bottom and tap I Agree. The app will begin downloading.
- After the download is complete, you will need to open it. Tap on the very top line of the Kindle Fire near the name of the device and to the left of the time display. This will bring up a list of downloads. Tap on the program to finish installing, then open the app.
- Tap the menu icon at the bottom of the screen and select Get Books.
- Tap Add a Library at the bottom of the screen and enter the zip code 64506. Select “Rolling Hills Consolidated Library” from the list and tap the star to the left to mark it as a favorite, then tap the name of the library to get to the Missouri Libraries 2 Go collection.
- Search for an e-book title. When you have found an available title, select the EPUB format (NOT Kindle format!) and tap Add to Cart button.
- Tap Proceed to Checkout, then Confirm Checkout. (You will be prompted to enter your library, card number and PIN if you are not already logged in.) Then tap the Download button.
- The first time you use the app, you will be prompted to authorize it with your Adobe ID (the account you set up in step 1). Tap Settings and enter your Adobe ID and password, then the Authorize button. The download of your title will begin automatically.
- The title will be added to your Overdrive app main screen. Tap the title to begin reading.
- To delete an item or return it early, hit the + next to the title, then tap Return/Delete.
Need more help?
View the Amazon Help page for public library books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200747550
Call (232-5479) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) the library for assistance or to set up an appointment for one-on-one help. Instructional classes may also be available.