E-books on your Kindle
E-Books for your Kindle
A step-by-step guide
There are two ways to load Overdrive materials onto your Kindle.
The Wireless Method is the easiest if there is wireless Internet available.
The USB Method is for when there is no wireless access available, or the particular title you want says Kindle Devices via USB only.
You will need an Amazon account, your library card number and your PIN or password. You will also need a USB cable to transfer using the USB Method.
- On your home computer, go to the website for our e-book collection: www.molib2go.org
- Click on the Sign In tab in the upper right corner of the screen. Choose Rolling Hills Consolidated Library from the menu, then type in your library card number and PIN to sign in to your account.
- Search or browse for an e-book title that you want to read. Make sure that it is available in Kindle format. If it is, tap the Add to Cart button next to the Kindle format listing.
- Click Proceed to Checkout.
- Click Confirm Checkout.
- You will be sent to a Download page. From there, click on the Get for Kindle button. This will take you to the Amazon website.
- Make sure your Kindle is selected in the “Deliver to:” menu, then click on the yellow Get library book button. If you are not already logged into Amazon, you will be prompted to enter your account information.
- You will get a confirmation message that says “Thanks... Your digital library book will be delivered... the next time it connects to Wi-Fi”.
- Turn on your Kindle. If your wireless is not already on, click Menu and select Turn Wireless On. As soon as the device connects to a wireless network, it will download the title to your device.
- Go to your home screen to find the title. If you don’t see the book immediately, you can select Menu at the top of the screen then Sync and Check for Items.
- To return an item early, visit www.amazon.com on your computer, log-in to your Amazon account and go to Manage Your Kindle.
- Follow steps 1-6 in the above Wireless Method instructions.
- Connect your Kindle to your computer using the USB cable.
- Make sure the “Deliver To:” field is set to Transfer Via Computer, then click the yellow Get Library Book button.
- Select your Kindle device name and click Continue.
- You will be prompted to open or save the file. Choose Save and hit OK. The file will download to your computer into your default downloads location-- probably your “Downloads” folder.
- You will need to find the downloaded file and copy it into the “documents” folder on your Kindle. The steps in this process will vary depending on your system, but here are some basic steps using a computer running Windows 7:
- Click on the “Start” menu, then “Computer”. Your Kindle device will be listed under “Devices with Removable Storage”. Double click to open it. Keep that window open, but move it to the side.
- Open your “Downloads” folder and locate the e-book file that you just downloaded-- you will be looking for a file name that looks like this: “title-of-book.azw”.
- Click on the file name of the book, then drag and drop it into the “documents” folder on your Kindle.
- Before disconnecting your Kindle from the computer, click the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon at the bottom of your screen to remove it safely.
- The downloaded title should appear on the home screen of your Kindle.