Audiobooks for your computer, iPod or MP3 player
- On your home computer, go to the website for Missouri Libraries 2 Go: www.molib2go.org
- You will need to download some special software to use the service. Click on “Overdrive Media Console” on the lower right-hand side of the screen under the “Digital Software” heading. You will be taken to an Overdrive download page. The proper version of software should be automatically selected for you. Click on the “Download Now” button on the lower right.
- Follow the installation instructions and prompts.
- After installation, open the Overdrive Media Console software and go to “tools”. Go to “Windows Media Player Security Upgrade”. This upgrade must be performed before you download any audiobooks. (Skip this step if you are on a Mac computer).
- Go back to the Missouri Libraries 2 Go website. Find an item, either by browsing through categories or by using the search box. If you want to limit your search to only selections in a certain format, you can change the drop down menu next to the search box from “All Formats” to “MP3 Audiobook” or “WMA Audiobook” (see below for a note on formats).
- After your initial search, if you wish only to see titles that are available for immediate checkout, check the box that says “Only show titles with copies available”, then click the “submit” button next to the search box.
- Add any available audio to your cart. You may also place a hold on any item which has a link that says “Place a Hold”. These items are currently checked out to someone else, and you will receive an email when it becomes your turn.
- After placing an item in your cart, you will have the option to continue browsing, or check out. When you are finished selecting items, click on “Proceed to checkout”. This will take you to a page which asks for your home library. Select “Rolling Hills Consolidated Library” from the list. Then, enter your library card number and your pin number. If you do not have a pin number, please call the library. You can also try the word “password” as your PIN-- many accounts are set with this by default. Once the information is entered, click “login” at the bottom.
- After entering the required information, a screen will appear with a summary of the items you are checking out. Click “Confirm Check Out”.
- You should now see the download screen, with a button that says “Download” next to your items. After clicking, a box may pop up asking what to do with the file. If it does, select “Open with: Overdrive Media Console” and hit OK. You can choose whether you want to download individual tracks, or the entire audiobook. The download process could take a considerable amount of time (30 minutes or so) depending on the length of the audiobook.
- After the download is complete, you can listen to the audio directly on your computer or you can transfer it to a portable device. To transfer, turn your device on and make sure it is awake. Connect the device to your computer either directly or with a USB cable. Click on the “transfer” button in the Overdrive Media Console software and follow the prompts to complete the transfer.
Here is a general idea of what files you should use:
- Windows computer: WMA and MP3
- Mac computer: MP3 format
- iPod: Users transferring from a Windows machine will be able to listen to MP3 and many WMA, but not all. Those transferring from a Mac must use MP3.
- iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc: Those using apps to download directly to their device are limited to MP3 audiobooks.