E-Books and Audiobooks for your Android Device
A step-by-step guide
You will need your library card number and your PIN or password.
Checking out and reading the library’s digital materials are both done through a free app:
Installing the App
- From your device, go to the Google Play Store (icon of the shopping bag with arrow).
- Go to Apps. Tap on the magnifying glass and search for Overdrive.
- Tap Overdrive Media Console in the results list, then tap Install.
- Tap Accept and Download. It may take a few minutes to download. After it does, tap Open to complete installation.
Authorizing the Device
At some point, either after the installation of your app is complete or the first time you download a book, you will be prompted to authorize your device.
- A prompt will appear on the screen telling you that “you must first authorize this application with your Adobe ID”. Tap the Get ID button and you will be taken to the “Sign In” page on the Adobe website.
- Tap the yellow Create an Adobe Account button. Fill in all the required fields on the registration form, then click the Continue button. If your account was successfully created, you will be taken to a “Thank You” screen.
- Go back to your Overdrive Media Console App. Tap the menu icon at the bottom of the screen (three little dots), then App Settings. Enter the Adobe ID and password that you just created in step 2 and click the Authorize button. (Note: you should only need to do process this the first time you use the app).
If you want to download the same book to another computer or device, be sure to authorize it using the same Adobe ID.
Finding and Downloading E-Books or Audios
- On your Android device, go to the Overdrive App. The main screen that you see when the app opens is called your Bookshelf. Any e-Books or audios that you have checked out will be listed here. (The app comes with a “Welcome to Overdrive” message on your bookshelf. If you want to get rid of it, hit the + next to the title, then Delete.)
- To find a book, tap the menu icon (three little dots) then tap Get Books.
- Tap Add a Library button at the bottom of the screen. You can search for a library by name or zip code. Typing 64506 into the search box is the quickest, then hit the Search button. Tap Rolling Hills Consolidated Library in the results list, then tap Missouri Libraries 2 Go (Note: if you tap the star next to “Missouri Libraries 2 Go”, it will remember it for next time). You will be taken to the Missouri Libraries 2 Go website.
- Tap Login. Select Rolling Hills Consolidated Library from the drop down menu, then hit Done. Type in your library card number and PIN to login.
- Search or browse for an e-book title that you want to read or an audiobook that you want to listen to. When you find one that is available, click the Add to Cart button next to the listing.
- Click Proceed to Checkout, then Confirm Checkout.
- Click on the Download button next to the title that you have just checked out and it will begin downloading to the bookshelf in your Overdrive app (Note: if you have not already authorized the device using the instructions above, you will be asked to do so at this time).
- To read or listen to the book, tap the title.
- To remove an item or return it early, tap the + next to the title, then tap the Return/Delete button. Select “Return then Delete” to remove it from your account.
Note: If you already use the Kindle Reader App on your Android device, you can use it to check out books instead of the Overdrive App. Go to www.molib2go.org in your web browser and check out a Kindle title. You will be sent to Amazon to complete your download. You will not be able to use this method for audiobooks.
Need more help?
Call (232-5479) or e-mail (email@example.com) the library for assistance or to set up an appointment for one-on-one help. Instructional classes may also be available.