Fizz, Boom, READ!
Fizz, Boom, Read! at the library this summer! Kids from birth to fifth grade can read (or have parents read to them) from June 2 to August 2 and earn PRIZES! Register and track your minutes online or pick up a paper reading log at the nearest branch.
To earn prizes, read 15 minutes a day for five days and complete two activities each week. After reading 300 minutes, you earn your summer reading certificate! Want to win more prizes? Read an additional 400 minutes and do four activities to become a Big Bang Bonus Reader!
Another option is the Parents as Reading Partners program that rewards families with prizes for reading four books together. View the official instructions and accompanying activities for all three reading incentive programs here.
Both branches have plenty of special events scheduled too! Check out these awesome programs:
- Rick Rayburn Concerts: June 2nd afternoon show and evening show at the Belt. June 17 afternoon show and evening show in Savannah.
- Nitro Joe Science Show: June 9th at the Belt and June 10 in Savannah.
- Mad Science of Kansas City: June 23 at the Belt and June 24 in Savannah.
- Magician Adam White: July 7 at the Belt and July 8 in Savannah.
- MO Dept. of Conservation: July 14 at the Belt and July 15 in Savannah.
- Kansas City Zoomobile: July 28 at the Belt and July 29 in Savannah.
All this plus weekly baby storytimes, all ages storytimes and Wednesday craft programs! See our calendar of events for a full listing of dates and times.
The Summer Reading Program is supported by donations from the Friends of the Library, many local businesses and a major grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, which is the primary source of federal support for libraries and museums. The federal grant program is administered by the Missouri State Library, a division of the Office of the Secretary of State.